I hope this post finds you well, made you smile, inspires you or motivates you.
…And just like that, another year has come to an end.
Since we’ve all finished yet another 365 paged novel, I think it’s time to remember, reflect and most importantly, appreciate what we’ve discovered and learned in 2016.
Lets take a quick trip down memory lane and look back on what I’ve personally discovered this year.
1. Not everyone is going to like you, no matter how genuinely nice you are and how hard you try – you can be the sweetest, juiciest and perfectly ripe apple yet there will still be people out there who hates apples
2. You can’t force your friendship on people who don’t want to reciprocate – as hard as it is to let go of someone you care about and move on, you need to learn that some people just aren’t meant to be in your life anymore and it’s best to just let them be
3. It’s not all about the money when it comes to finding and settling into a job – I always thought that if my environment and colleagues (who you’re stuck with 5 days a week) were horrible but I was paid decently, it wouldn’t matter and I’d still be happy to stay, I couldn’t be any more wrong.
4. It takes the constant effort of two people for a relationship to sustain – you both have to put in the effort, time, commitment and communication. Some people tend to stop caring when it hits a certain point of comfort between both partners. There will always be room for improvement as we’re all not perfect but it’s up to you if you want to improve or not
You can never really grow when you’re in a comfortable position
5. Aside from family (for most cases), you can never trust anyone a full 100%. I’ve realised that many amazing people who’ve entered my life, end up leaving
It was saddening because I genuinely thought our friendships could last for a long time and I had my full trust in some of these people. I shared my darkest secrets and approached them when I felt vulnerable. You really can’t predict when one can just wake up one day and decide that they’re no longer associated with you and has the motive to turn around and stab you in the back
It’ll hurt less if you trust them say 90%, 80% or 70% for example
6. It’s never too late to change – whether it be for someone you love or for yourself, don’t ever think of time as a restraint and never hold yourself back. You’ll never know what could’ve been until you believe in yourself and take a risk
7. Money can never ever buy you true happiness – you can only feel temporary happiness from something you’ve bought
Some related inspiration I’ve come across online:
❤️ Money can buy a house but not a home
❤️ Money can buy blood but not life
❤️ Money can buy a clock but not time
❤️ Money can buy sex but not love
❤️ Money can buy books but not knowledge
❤️ Money can buy medicine but not health
8. Falling in love happens effortlessly – I think the best type of love is one where it comes by naturally and when you least expect it
9. Do more of what makes you happy – life is way too short to be living each day in unhappiness and remember, you are your own creator of happiness
10. Your flaws are so insignificant in comparison to all the unfortunate events happening around the world – why do we freak out so much when we grow a pimple or when you notice you have new moles, stretch marks, cellulite or scars?
Remember, it’s the inside that counts and your inner beauty will attract the right people, not that expensive YSL lipstick you have on or that BECCA highlight on your cheekbones. Make up can’t hide an ugly heart
11. There is more genuine satisfaction in giving rather than taking
12. Emotional pain hurts but it won’t last forever – With time (whether it be long or short), your emotional wounds will be healed and soon enough, you’ll be able to stand up with your head held high again
13. Building confidence in yourself does not happen overnight – for some, it may take weeks, months or even years. Hang in there and never doubt yourself, always believe in yourself because you are beautiful
14. “A simple act of kindness creates an endless ripple” – always help others in need when you have the physical or mental capability to do so. Try to always have an open mind, an open heart and be kind
15. The act of forgiving someone will lift a lot of burden off your shoulders – I know it’s hard to do so when you still feel hurt but how else will you be able to move on? Forgive yourself and then forgive them. I think forgiveness is the first step to putting the issue behind you and starting fresh again
16. We are all equal – we all have one life, one body and one soul. We also all make mistakes but that’s apart of life and it is from these mistakes that we learn to become a better version of ourselves. Know your worth and always respect yourself as we are all worthy of true happiness
I wish every single one of you out there reading this, ALL the happiness, luck and health for the upcoming 2017.
May 2017 be an amazing year! ❤️